Wednesday, August 16, 2006

Uh ... you're what?

I had a very wierd dream last night. There aren't too many details in it, so this should be a pretty quick read...

I was wandering around a mall which I didn't know. I don't know what I was looking for. Suddenly, I stumbled across a very familiar looking face among many others. It was Lizzie, surrounded by a bunch of people I didn't know. She was in a wedding dress, and the men around her were dressed in morning coats and suits. She saw me looking at her with a funny look on my face, and she came running out.

Her: "Anthony! Guess what?"
Me: "No, don't tell me."
Her: "Yes!" And she flashed her wedding band at me, with her engagement ring right behind it.
Me: "You're married. Why are you getting married?"
Her: "Duh! You get married after you've been engaged!"
Me: "I never knew you were engaged! How did this little fact escape the subject of conversation?"
Her: "Oh, you knew."
Me: "No, really, I didn't."
Her: "Sure you did!"
Me: "Lizzie, I would not be reacting like this if I had known you were engaged."
Her: "Well, it doesn't matter. Come celebrate with us!"

And at this point I looked at the crowd. All the men present were aged 45 and over. I looked carefully for the groom. Shocked, I did a double-take, and then for safety reasons, I looked over them all very thoroughly again. Her husband was a gray-haired man, rather on the portly side. You could tell he was very well off by the way that he carried himself.

Me: "Lizzie, how old is your husband?"
Her: "What difference does that make?"
Me: "He's what, 50?"
Her: "Close. He's a bit older."
Me: "Why are you marrying him?"
Her: "Why would anyone marry anyone else?"
I gave her a look.
Her: "Yeah, he is well off, but that's not the main reason!"

I forget what I said at this point, but it was along the lines of the fact that I couldn't celebrate with her, because something about the whole thing seemed really wierd. Of course, Lizzie did not like that answer, and she went away mad at me. I felt awful for saying whatever it was I said and for making her mad, but I couldn't go against my feelings in this matter.

Anyway, she went inside one of the restaraunts in this mall, followed by her entourage. I followed her at a distance. There were no Christendom people at all, nor was her family there. The entire crowd consisted of people about the age of the groomsmen. Some were married, some weren't. It looked like all the attendees were all on the guy's side.

I began to feel extremely uneasy about the whole thing. Right about then, I woke up...

3 comments:

Ken said...

So, let me get this straight:

1) You fear that you are not going to marry Lizzie for a long time.
2) You fear that, by that time, you will be fat and gray.
3) On the bright side, you expect to be rich by then.
4) This notwithstanding, you think that her family will hate you so much that they won't come to the wedding.
5) You think that Christendom people won't come (I don't want to speculate about the reason for that)
6) You think that, even though you'll be rich, you will be such a tightwad that you will get married in a mall.

Did I miss anything?

Anthony Smitha said...

Funny. Actually, I interpreted it to mean that she'd marry some old fat rich guy in a mall before she gives me a chance. Nice try, though... ;)

Anonymous said...

I dreamed about this dream last night. In *my* dream, I began eagerly to tell the people sitting around the table in this room about the dream, in order to build up to the comments as the punchline. They were not Christendom people, so I braced myself to give the shortest explanation possible so as not to lose my audience. As I launched into it, however, I realized that Ken was actually one of the people there--actually the only one, as Mom had wandered out of earshot down the hall taking care of screaming children, and the others seemed to have wandered off as well. So I ended by simply complementing Ken on his comment, and wandering off myself into the rest of my dream (unrelated to Christdom) with a feeling of vague anxiety because I still wanted to tell people the punchline.

*sigh*

This is what happens when I try to sleep in--although when I was at the monastery I had the strangest, most vivid dreams every night, and believe me we didn't sleep in!